About Me

London, United Kingdom
Guy, early 40s, living in London but travelling to Budapest for Invisalign treatment

Monday 24 July 2006

Fitting My First Aligners

I have come back to Budapest in the middle of a heatwave. The flat I have rented for the weekend just off Ráday Utca is roasting hot and does not have air conditioning or even an electric fan. I insist they provide a fan which arrives on the first evening. By closing the shutters during the day and opening them at night, I can make the flat habitable. I go for a swim at the Alfred Hajos swimming pool on Margit Island in the middle of the Danube, but the beautiful outdoor pool is being used the shoot the movie "Children of Glory" so I have to swim indoors.

At Dr H's surgery, he fits the first set of aligners. They snap very tightly around my teeth and, since each tooth is having forces applied to it, they create a fairly strange sensation. Slightly painful - a bit like being punched softly in the mouth - but the feeling does fades. He takes the aligners off to fix the elastic attachments. When we fix the elastic bands which apply the force for the first time, one of the attachments pings off and has to be reattached. While my teeth are getting used to this rough treatment, I am allowed to wear the aligners only ten hours a day and we leave the other attachments for the next session.

By Monday, the weather has turned ultra hot and humid, to the point that it is making me feel really quite ill so I decide to phone for a taxi and leave for the airport early after lunch. This turns out to be a good idea because as I drive out of town a biblical storm breaks flooding the roads and the metro, and making taxis very hard to come by.

On the plane home, I learn a useful lesson about aligners. I take them out to eat dinner. When the plane lands, I realise one is missing. I frantically search my hand luggage and the area around my seat until I get told I have to leave the plane. I am thinking how I am going to explain this to Dr H and get as far as the train platform when I realise I am also missing my laptop, which I have left on the plane while unpacking my hand luggage. I go back to the terminal and ask, rather without hope, if the laptop was handed in. It was, and half an hour later it is given to me along with a sick-bag containing the aligner. A small miracle, but a lesson to be a lot more careful with aligners, especially if they are the only set you have.

No comments: